Shaunna Mireau on Canadian Legal Research

Tips on Canadian legal research from the Library at Field LLP.
Postings are those of the author and do not necessarily represent the firm.

February 22, 2010

My child is my child forever

I am on a short leave from work at the moment, and since I just can't help myself, I went to have a look at the Alberta Legislature to see what is happening in the current session. I was very pleased to see Bill 3 Fatal Accidents Amendment Act, 2010. This short little amendment to clean up the language of the FAA and make it more consistent with other legislation. The bill removes references to whether a child is 'legitimate' or not.

Hansard, Feb 16, 2010, 1:25:

Distinguishing between legitimate and illegitimate children is no longer appropriate in
legislation. It is also out of step with modern-day family structures and dynamics. All children should be considered equal regardless of the marital status of the children’s parents.
As the Mireau Giggles might say: "No duh!"

The bill also removes barriers for parents to receive bereavement damages if their child is married. I am positive that whatever their age or marital status, if the Mireau Giggles expire before me I will be bereaved.

I am pleased that our legislators see the good sense in this.

Labels:

1 Comments:

At March 03, 2010 9:58 a.m. , Anonymous Karen said...

I misread the the bereavement damages. I first thought it meant you got bereavement damages because your child was married! "What a progressive province" I thought.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home