Shaunna Mireau on Canadian Legal Research

Tips on Canadian legal research from the Library at Field LLP.
Postings are those of the author and do not necessarily represent the firm.

March 12, 2008

US Court Documents recycled

The limited access to Canadian court documents available for decided cases on WestlaweCarswell's Litigator is pretty cool. I have to say though, that the US courts PACER system is even better.

The PACER Service Center is the Federal Judiciary's centralized registration, billing, and technical support center for electronic access to U.S. District, Bankruptcy, and Appellate court records.

PACER (Public Access to Court Electronic Records) is the go to site for extremely cost effective electronic access to the procedure cards, and often, the digitized content of the ongoing court record for a small fee of 8 cents a page. Very Cool! Even more cool is notice from the Law Librarian Blog about a PACER recycling site.

Now the cool stuff that others have gathered for a fee can be retrieved for free through digital recycling. This service is organized by public.resource.org an a memo about this service can be read here. It is always nice to read about people sharing.

3 Comments:

At May 06, 2008 11:45 a.m. , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Shaunna, this is a very basic, general question, but do you have a preference for quicklaw, or westlaw? I'm working at a firm this summer which has asked me to look into the advantages and disadvantages of both; however, I'm having difficulty locating any critical literature. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks, - Tim

 
At May 06, 2008 2:33 p.m. , Blogger Unknown said...

Tim,

I use LNQL or WeC depending on the subject matter of my research, after first looking in our available textbooks of course. I always use both for noting up.

By subject matter I mean this: If the research is likely to require a search of tribunal decisions, I use LNQL first. If my library doesn't have a newish text r a loosleaf service on the subject, I am mostlikly to start with WeC since it has the CED. I use WeC first for bankruptcy research since Carswell publishes the C.B.R.s and the Keycite records link to Houlden and Morawetz. I use LNQL first for privacy law since they have the broadest collection of OPIC decisions.

I believe that the Canadian Law Library Review (available to members at www.callacbd.ca) which is indexed in the Index to Canadian Legal Literature contains an article from a ?couple? of years ago comparing WeC and (old) QL.

Cheers, Shaunna

 
At July 03, 2009 1:07 p.m. , Blogger workhard said...

Hi.. your blog has informative articles

Attorney companies

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home