Shaunna Mireau on Canadian Legal Research

Tips on Canadian legal research from the Library at Field LLP.
Postings are those of the author and do not necessarily represent the firm.

January 07, 2011

Crash and reboot

I had a little crash on my iPad this week. Once with Kobo and then another little crash with the factory email app. I was thinking it was the OS upgrade that I finally got around to doing over the holiday break. Thanks to Steve Matthews for reminding me that Software Apps Crash Too.

These two little blips on my device (in the short 8 months of enjoying its presence in my life)are NOTHING compared to the number of desktop/server/laptop bonks that I have suffered through over the years. We are living in a world where device dependence is rapidly increasing.

With very few exceptions, 'computer' problems in my life have been software driven. Everything is software. Apps, operating systems, the code that makes your email work, the telephone server, the thing that makes your cell phone voice mail message arrive a week later than when it was recorded, everything. Software is written by humans. Humans err.

My anxiety over the Kobo app crash was a bit extreme. Or maybe not. It was like dropping 30 books in the bathtub, all at the same time and knowing that you don't have room in the freezer to do a freeze dry repair. I just finished reading a bunch of older Suzanne Brockmann novels and a new Jayne Ann Krentz, all on the crack pad.

Reboot, reboot, phew.


P.S. If you leave your iPod in your jeans and put it through the washer. If you listen to your Mom, and put it in the freezer for a week before doing anything else (like trying to turn it on to 'check it') your iPod will be just fine. You headphones are hooped though.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home